The Society was established in 1929 to bring together people with a common purpose to
preserve, and try and keep available fishing for local people. Membership of the Society
in its first season numbered twenty two.
The Society was temporarily disbanded during the Second World War, but was reformed
in 1947 mainly through the efforts of Mr D King who was one of the founder members.
The season of 1964/65 saw an important landmark for the club, with the purchase of the
fishing rights of the Corks Lane end of the Toppesfield stretch of the River Brett.
following people being made Trustees of the water, in the event of the Club folding up,
Mr. R Leach, Mr. J Hill, Mr. J Stiff and Mr. J Scarff.
The fishing rights to the Calais Street stretch were purchased in 1981. Trustees of the
water are Mr R Leach, Mr J Scarff and Mr R Marsh.
The society was successful in the 1968/69 season in gaining permission to fish Polstead
Pond, this was followed in 1981/82 with Alverstoke and in 1991/92 with Semer Pit, giving
members a variety of still waters to add to various stretches of the River Brett.
The Society undertook to build a reservoir at Bullocky Fen in 1983 and this was opened
in 1985 on a ninety nine year lease. Trustees of this water are Mr. J Hill, Mr. R Leach and
Mr. K Mcllwain.
A lottery was started in 1983 to fund the construction of Bullocky Fen. Following
completion Mr R Leach, Mr J Hill, Mr D Warner and the late Mr J Scarff continued to run
the lottery and up to 2010 had raised in excess of £110,000.